December 8, 2011

I still remember that building



 When I was a little girl growing up my grandparents lived in Roxie, Mississippi located just 22.2 miles from Natchez. I can’t tell you how many times we traveled that road. I was fascinated by one hugh building standing on the side of the road. It was like a big doll to me back then and it was a gas station at the time I first started noticing it.
Mammy's Cupboard was constructed around 1940 by Henry Gaude to attract customers to the Shell Filling Station that was in Natchez for many years.  It was his wife who opened the truck stop for travelers to eat. The building has housed a number of different businesses ever since.
It sits beside Highway 61 just south of Natchez, a Mississippi River town with a long and celebrated history. When you see it, the first the first thing you do is look again. Was that a 28 foot woman?
Today it still fascinates me; I guess that why I saved this newspaper article that my Mother gave me one day. Is there an unusual building or art on the side of the road that you still remember as a child? She will always be the doll on the side of the road to me.


5 comments:

  1. A wonderful memory! We traveled quite a bit when I was a child, I remember lots of interesting places and sites similar to yours, unfortunately, I don't have photos and there weren't any in mom's box of photos but I do remember them! Great post, Betty, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings From Southern California

    I can see how a building like Mammy's would stick in your memory. Childhood memories are often tied to things that can either bring back a positive or negative memory. I'm glad the old Mammy's Cupboard building is a good one for you :-)

    Thanks for your recent visit to My Blog

    Have a nice weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post...thanks for sharing...happy holidays...blessings soraya

    ReplyDelete
  4. A happy new year to you too!
    I have to admit that I never really understood why Mammy was offensive. Thank you for including the newspaper article.
    Have a blessed 2012!
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete

All Spam, slander, or harassment will be reported.