August 12, 2012

If This Old House could talk


Every Old House has a story to tell.  It doesn't matter the price you paid for it, if its brand new or a hundred year old house.   It doesn't matter if it has one bedroom or six. It doesn't matter if its falling down now or if its been remodeled. Do you live in your childhood home or do you drive by it and say, "That's my Old House?"  How many family members live in your home? Do you have family gatherings there?

The only childhood home I can remember was in Dallas. That was the house where I can remember my mother painting with her oil paints, sitting hours in the den in front of an easel. Cousins came to visit in the summer time to go to Six Flags with us. There was an alley in the back, behind the yard that cut through to my best friends house. And it was the home next door to a family I babysat for and who later became my Guardians when I was a teenager.
Green Terrace Street
Dallas, Texas 
Many years ago I walked down an old childhood memory of my mothers with her as she shared what it was like growing up on the hill. As we walked in the yard at her old house in Terry, Mississippi, she told me about her childhood growing up in that old house.  She said it was one of the best  memories she had as a child. It was one of the nicest new homes in Terry  back then, built on 69 acres of land. It had a two story barn, a big creek with an Indian trail and the house sat on a hill. In the front lawn hedged in green bushes, were roses and gardenias that always made everything smell so good. They even had an apple and peach orchid . Mom said the old place took a lot of hard work and all the kids had chores they had to do back then but it  also had its rewards. She said that at noon they would take breaks and she would lay in the  green grass looking up at the clouds. She said you could hear the airplanes practicing friendly war fare. They would dive at the treetops and look like you could almost touch them. 
They always had a garden, a  couple of cows, and lots of chickens. My grandparents would sell vegetables and eggs to help make ends meet.  They would can their bounty from the garden and smoke meat in the old smoke house. Mom’s eyes would light up when she talked about the old Terry place. It wasn't easy for all those children but the lessons of life could never be taken away from her heart.
Today, the old Terry house still stands. It has been remolded and updated. The first photo was taken by my parents back in the 60's when they visited the old place. It had been remolded then and the second photo is what it looks like today.

Old Jackson Road
Jackson, Mississippi
The old smoke house and chicken coop were torn down by my cousin Edit’s husband , Bill, and turned into a little house that displays  some of Granny and Granddads belonging as if walking into their small life of memories. What a treasured gift that he built not more than a  few steps away where Edith  and her husband  now live , near the old Terry house.

This is where my husbands Grandfather, Charles Whitney lived, when he was a little boy. The house is still there but about to fall in. Not sure who owned it after his grandfather, My husband broke his leg playing on an old tombstone at the Talco Cemetery near there. His grandfather made him a pair of crutches that we still have today.
Charlie Whitney's house 
Talco, Texas


510 Hartfield St.-Jackson, MS. Home of Mr. & Mrs. Smith E. Brand The home looks new. about 1940.

Henry Uriar Hall's Home

William Monroe Harrigill , home where he died on Main Street Natchez, Mississippi. Years later it was the parsonage house for First Baptist Church. The locals nick named it the Keyhole House.

The old Wroten Home Thomas Sylvester wife Alice & Frank Wroten and the Dog

Mayberry and Arabelle Britt Family in Mesa, AZ

Home of  George Pinkney Newman 
located south of the Villiage of McNair in Jefferson County, MS. Photo dated 1897


This was the home that belonged to my Aunt Phyllis Thomas. It was her fathers home and is located on the Natchez Trace in Mississippi. I spent the night there once and I can still remember the tall feathered bed and the wash stands in the room.
Philip H. Marble, bought Woodland Plantation in Churchill, Mississippi in 1936 which was in ruinous condition but her parents undertook a complete restoration of the property, including additions to the house which was furnished in period pieces and the construction of a number of service buildings. Their daughter, Phyllis lived and managed the plantation until 1974 when she sold it to the present owners. Woodland is on the National Register of Historic Places in Mississippi.

Bennie Buckles home
D'Evereux Mashion
Natchez, Mississippi

Lucille Whitney Home 
Talco, Texas

Natchez Residence of Howard and Agnes Smith 1952-1984


This was my Grandfather's home where we visited many times as a child. I sat on that porch so many times, swinging with my grandfather Pap. I have blogged before on how I can still hear those crows, along with the whip wills and Bob Whites as we swung silently in the crisp mornings.  There were times that the front parlor had to hold a family loved one for a funeral because the town didn't have a funeral home. They would bring in air-conditioners for the windows and it would be ice cold in that room and the furniture was all taken out, leaving just the casket.  As a child, it was pretty scary to go in there. 
The house only had one bathroom and in the winter time, it was really cold in there unless someone lit the space heater. There was always a domino game going on outside under the trees and my grandparents Nanny was always frying chicken for dinner. The house has been totally remodeled, but that porch still holds a swing where many of my childhood memory's are. 
John Vallery & Doris Harrigill home
Roxie, Mississippi

Minden, Louisiana

Home of Roy & Renea Harrigill
Melton, Florida

Home of Margie & Scott Newman
Buckeye, Arizona

Our Home Sweet Home
Minden, Louisiana

Cindy & Glenn Whitehead
Mississippi 



6 comments:

  1. Great photo. I had a great time while reading and seeing those photos. Thanks for sharing.

    family tree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a painting of my grandparents home. I loved going there. It has been over 35 years and I still remember it clearly. Sometimes when I am feeling sad I go there in my mind and spend time with my grandparents who passed away years ago. I look in the cookie jar or play the organ. I look in my grandma's photo box or jump on my grandpa's bed. Sometimes I go outside and follow my grandpa around and water his vegetable garden. It is a nice we holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a year ago my favorite house was torn down(my grandparents Heaton) and just can't beleave I did not get pictures of it.I never thought of getting a picture of it till I read your blog here. I had so much fun at their house when I was a kid...Of course the house was huge ha ha (small)but who cares it was all the love and family times that I remember....Love RH

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually imagining the tall feathered bed you were speaking of. :P I wish I could see that one! Anyway, I'm impressed that these photos still exist. The one who kept these for years must have really loved those memories. I mean, if I were in his shoes, I'd feel the same way. Judging from the stories, okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elinor Haswell said...
    I'm actually imagining the tall feathered bed you were speaking of. :P I wish I could see that one! Anyway, I'm impressed that these photos still exist. The one who kept these for years must have really loved those memories. I mean, if I were in his shoes, I'd feel the same way. Judging from the stories, okay? :)

    Friday, October 12, 2012

    ReplyDelete
  6. Respons to Betty Hall/ Mother Zadie Thomas/ Regarding the Thomas Home. When I first met the family around 1946-48 They were living in the home. I have no Idea who they bought it from. It could be determined from the land description as recorded in Hinds county. Also it could be traced back from Arlies deed. I do not know who owns it now. Its still in the family I think. My dad was responsible for Arlie having a Farm Security Administration (FSA) Farm. His First was on the first Road south of the road that runs parallel to the Thomas home. He got that home between 1942 and 44. He moved to his second FSA home which was the next house (at that time)west of the Thomas home this had to be around 1045-46 That’s were Arlie lived when I met the Thomas’s. Arlie bought the Thomas home Maybe around 1950 as that is when I left Terry for a number of years. When I came back in 1955 Arlie was living in the Thomas house and I purchased 40 acres from Arlie but it was not part of the Thomas farm. So that is the history as best as I can remember the land records would give us exact times. I will Post this part of the history to Arlies Page.
    Calvin I Patrick Jr.
    Calvin771added this on 14 Aug 2012 on Ancestry

    ReplyDelete

All Spam, slander, or harassment will be reported.