September 25, 2012

Do you know where you want to be buried

 Do you own Burial plots? Do you know where you want to be buried? As a find a grave member I see many empty plots that may have been purchased ten, twenty, even over fifty years ago. You know that some family member bought and paid for those plots in planning where they and their loved ones would be buried. Why were they never used after so many , many years?
When my mother died, my husband and I bought her a plot in the Gilgal Cemetery , located in Minden, Louisiana. We have since purchased and now own eight cemetery plots and then two more on the same roll have been purchased by my sister and husband, making a total of ten burial plots in a straight roll. The eight that we hold the deeds to allows for the one that mother is already buried in, one for my husband, one for myself, leaving the last five to our children.
I feel pre-planning is a part of genealogy. One day, someone will be looking for my family, our names perhaps, where we are buried, or even the name of those that are buried beside us as a family. By purchasing our family plots in advance it will at least give my sister and I the satisfaction of knowing we will be buried together as family and that we didn't leave the decision to someone else to have to make.


Pre-Planning enables you to:
  • Help your loved ones understand your wishes and how they will be affected
  • Spare your family from making hard decisions at an emotionally stressful time
  • Make a financially sound decision
  • Alleviate additional grief at the time of loss, so your loved ones can focus on memorializing your life
Pre-plan today for security and peace of mind from knowing "it's all been taken care of."


1 comment:

  1. It certainly is easier for us genealogy researchers when we track our family from the 1800s, when family plots were customary. It would be so nice to have that option now, but times are so different.

    Even in my own family, the concept of a family plot has difficulties. Our lifestyles are so different now. For instance, when my husband died, I purchased two plots, so I could be buried next to him. But he died when I was in my early thirties. In the midst of grief, how could I know I'd later marry again--and raise a family? Since an old missionary friend suddenly died destitute, he is now buried in the plot that was supposed to be for me. And I'm fine with that.

    My parents had gone through the same scenario--my dad dying over 30 years before my mom. By the time she "joined" him, she lived 1,000 miles away from that cemetery. Her parents, thinking the same way, had a family plot with a space for her in the town where she now lived. So, with the choice of two, one got left behind.

    I think it is wonderful for families who all remain in the same community to think of their future this way. But not everyone dies at a ripe old age...and not everyone stays close to home.

    But whatever the method, you are right when you say that it provides peace of mind to know these future plans are taken care of. Just wish there were an exchange and return policy for cemeteries :)

    ReplyDelete

All Spam, slander, or harassment will be reported.